Wrexham Cemetery opened in 1876. It was designed by the plantsman Yeoman Strachan in the style of Loudon, it is Listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of Wales (Grade II). The cemeteries chapel and lodge buildings are also Listed. The cemetery is considered to be of local, regional and national significance due to its well preserved nature. The cemetery is still being used for burial, the needs of which have to be carefully and sensitively managed alongside the restoration, management and interpretation of the historic parts of the cemetery.HDD worked with Wrexham County Borough Council to submit a successful Round 2 Hertiateg Lottery Fund Grant application, HDD were then appointed as Lead Consultant to undertake the delivery stage of the project. The commission included appointing and managing a range of sub-consultants to prepare detailed designs and contract documentation, acting as Project Manager for the onsite works.
The £1.2 million scheme is now complete, and the completed project includes:
The completed project was awarded the prestigious Ruth Howarth Award from the Wrexham Area Civic Society. The award which isn’t given out every year is given for outstanding contributions to Wrexham’s environment.