West Norwood Cemetery was established in 1836 and was the first cemetery to be constructed entirely in the Gothic revival architectural style. It was the second of London’s “Magnificent Seven” private cemeteries built over a 40 acre site, and is notable for its monuments and mausolea. With more than 165,000 burials in 42,000 plots it is currently the subject of a significant programme of investment and conservation work. Part of that investment is allied to a programme of re-use of selected graves.
HDD are working closely with the London Borough of Lambeth, the Friends of West Norwood Cemetery, and the Scheme of Management Committee (under which the Cemetery is currently managed) to develop pilots and protocols for re-use of public and private graves and restoration of memorials, within what is a legally complicated framework and a historically sensitive context.